Recurrent pericarditis is a serious autoinflammatory disease with major short-term and long-term challenges for clinicians and patients alike.1 Now, a more complete clinical picture is emerging thanks to a new understanding of IL-1–mediated pathophysiology.1-3
For many individuals, the first acute episode of pericarditis is just the beginning, with up to 30% of these patients experiencing a first recurrence within 18 months.1See the extent of disease
The impact of recurrent pericarditis often extends beyond cardiac effects, with the general uncertainty of each recurrence triggering anxiety, depression, and disruption in overall quality of life.4,5Hear patient stories
When IL-1 swarms the pericardium, pericarditis recurs. Idiopathic recurrent pericarditis is one of many disorders where reducing IL-1 activity can be effective, suggesting it is the primary mediator of this disease.1-3Study the deeper science
There are currently no FDA-approved products for the treatment of recurrent pericarditis and no treatment guidelines have been issued in the US; however, many experts have adopted a stepwise approach based on guidelines from the European Society of Cardiology (ESC),6 employing therapies approved for other conditions to treat symptoms, which may not always address the underlying issue of inflammation.1Review the current standard of care
Take advantage of complimentary access to our growing collection of resources designed to help you get to the heart of inflammation in recurrent pericarditis.View all resources
- Cremer PC, Kumar A, Kontzias A, et al. Complicated pericarditis: understanding risk factors and pathophysiology to inform imaging and treatment. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;68(21):2311-2328.
- Dinarello CA, van der Meer JW. Treating inflammation by blocking interleukin-1 in humans. Semin Immunol. 2013;25(6):469-484.
- Brucato A, Imazio M, Cremer PC, et al. Recurrent pericarditis: still idiopathic? The pros and cons of a well-honoured term. Intern Emerg Med. 2018;13(6):839-844.
- LeWinter MM, Kontzias A, Lin D, et al. Health-related quality of life of patients with recurrent pericarditis in the United States. Poster presented at: Virtual ISPOR 2020; May 18-20, 2020. Poster PCV77.
- Lin D, Majeski C, DerSarkissian M, et al. Real-world clinical characteristics and recurrence burden of patients diagnosed with recurrent pericarditis in the United States. Poster presented at: American Heart Association Scientific Sessions (AHA) 2019; November 16-18, 2019; Philadelphia, PA. Poster Su3090.
- Chiabrando JG, Bonaventura A, Vecchie A, et al. Management of acute and recurrent pericarditis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020;75(1):76-92.